not even our own officials. With a resounding win by Hillary, our state pledged delegates went with Obama. I believe several of our "superdelegates"(and i use that term loosely) did as well. Regardless of which candidate had won, i take issue with KY Democrat officials who vote in direct opposition to the voice of their constituents. Shame on you all.
I also take issue with the newsmedia that continues to report that the only people in KY voting for Clinton are the uneducated, blue collar ones.....that would be code for poor, racist hicks by the way. Im amazed at the how the media has continually tried to dictate the outcome of this race. And they have done an amazing job of it, from the virtual media blackout of the Edwards campaign to the softballing of Obama, and the painting of a faulty picture that somehow Obama has been the strong frontrunner even though he failed to win PA, OH, WVA, KY to name a few. This contest has been CLOSE the whole way and it is evident that the party is split between two candidates. I think they should run on the same ticket HOWEVER the newsmedia has a different opinion.....they started as early as last week saying how Clinton on the Obama ticket weakens him. I cant imagine how pairing up with someone who has about 50% of the Democratic parties support weakens you. Whatever........they just dont want her on that ticket. Man, those Clintons must really be hated by the party they helped rebuild to get this treatment.
Dont even get me started on the "woman" thing. Perhaps my daughter will have a chance at being the FIRST female president after all......
8 comments:
Dang, you beat me to this post! I may just link this to my blog, cause I couldn't have said it better.
You- GO- girl!!!
What do you think accounts for the 35% spread between Clinton and Obama?
I'll keep saying this until it happens or I die (most likely the latter), what we need in this country is a DIRECT DEMOCRACY, not the inefficient, confusing & often frustrating Republic. If the popular vote were the only one that counted, I very much doubt Al Gore would've led us into Iraq.
I voted for Obama, however I got to see Bill in Richmond and it was amazing! I think a Obama/Clinton or visa versa ticket would be great. I don't think we could go wrong with either candidate.
So when are we gonna have mexican so we can discuss politics in person?
Susannah
the state pledged delegates were, 37 Hillary and 14 Obama...are the 14 to Obama what you reference?
Sam- i think the Clintons garnered alot of goodwill from the 90s Salad Days. Also, HIllary has a record of supporting universal healthcare and unions. Do i think race plays into the spread? Sure. But not 35%. Do i think sex plays a part? Sure...again, not 35%. Also alot of our Democrats are conservative and more likely to vote REpublican these days...and again Hill has a reputation for working bipartisan on issues and being more moderate.
Susannah- you know all you have to do is call and i will be there....even in these recession days. We hope to make an appearance at the yard sale Sunday too.
Bond- my disgust is with the superdelegates who vote for Obama even when their constituents suppost Clinton. I agree with Dan...lets get back to a straight up direct democracy.
Joy, I'm afraid your candidate is the one who made the most insistent argument that superdelegates aren't bound by any other criteria beyond their own best judgment. She also argues strenuously that delegates elected at county and state conventions, like me, aren't bound by their pledges to support the candidate for whom they were elected. That's a pretty sleazy argument to make.
However, I believe most of the superdelegates are DNC members and have no constituents to honor. Still, it would be a pretty interesting exercise to map the supers who are elected office holders and see how they vote in relation to their constituencies.
CNN's exit polling in Kentucky indicates that 21% of respondents said race was important to them and 81% of those folks voted for Clinton. I think it's likely that the percentage is higher, considering some folks are embarrassed to acknowledge they're racist. As you might expect, the numbers are higher in West Virginia at 1 in 4 for whom race was important. I think it's worth wondering why Oregon, a state with a very similar demographic, broke the other way.
As for Kentucky Dems being conservative, that's for sure. They voted for GWB 57-41 in 2000 and 60-40 in '04. I'm gonna try to figure out which states with majority Democratic voter registrations voted for Bush and by what percentages. That may prove somewhat enlightening.
Regardless, if I was a bettin' man, I'd wager that Kentucky and West Virginia are gonna go for McCain by double digits in the fall, no matter how many registered Democrats they have and regardless of who's on the ticket.
Finally, I'm all for bipartisanship, but not when it gets folks shipped off to fight unjust wars against toothless enemies for the sake of looking tough. I can forgive her for making a mistake but I can't forgive her for not recognizing it as a mistake. She said: "If the most important thing to any of you is choosing someone who did not cast that vote or has said his vote was a mistake, then there are others to choose from." I've made my choice.
OH, no doubt Clinton would do or say anything to win. IM sure if she was leading in delegates she wouldnt be the peoples advocate in letting everyones voice be heard.
Same for Obama.
I think Sam you are right about KY...it will swing McCains way most likely. Ky always votes conservatively in all the western and eastern areas and then Louisville and Lexington go the opposite. Its frustrating as a voter.
Even with the "faulty intel" and lies, i hold everyone responsible for voting for us to enter into this war. I can excuse going into Afghanistan....it seemed the place to track down Bin Laden and Co....and a senator from New York at the time would almost have had to vote for that one....but the Iraq thing has never made good sense. Its what happens when people listen to opinion polls instead of using good judgement. Unfortunately in this day and age of around the clock media coverage of everything...opinion polls are all that matter.
Post a Comment