Monday, March 20, 2006

V for Vacation ...as in..i need one...

So Sunday afternoon i highstepped it to the movie theater with Maria. We were babyfree. I got there 30 minutes too early so i kicked back in the car and rocked out to some tunes. What a nice change of pace. We saw V For Vendetta. I liked it...it was full of interesting things to think about. Alot of questions about the politics of fear, government of the people, terrorism vs. freedom fighters...and probably at its heart fascism VS anarchy (at least from the source material which was a graphic novel put out in the 90s with the same title). I wont write anything more..no spoilers...the hubby hasnt seen it yet so im banned from discussing it. But i would give it a B. Mainly it was just great to get out on my own for a few hours with a friend. Sometimes i think i forget im more then just a mother. Im a whole person with a myriad of interests, thoughts, and feelings. Im sure the wolverine will be bettter off in the long run if i remember that and nurture myself on occassion.


So day 6 of the NO SUGAR plan. Im impressed we have lasted this long. The first four days were BLECH. I had headaches, and cravings, i was cranky, and in a foggy haze. It was alot like coming off a drug addiction come to think of it. Who knew sugar had such power. The main obstacle i think in the remaining 8 days is growing bored with the allowed food and the pure unadulterated laziness that causes me to reach for the phone at dinnertime and call up Donatos. I thinkwe can ride it out...but then the fun really begins. We have to take what we have learned and apply it....keep a watch on the calories...make good choices...stay away from the evil SUGAR...and actually use our YMCA membership instead of just paying them $66 a month for a plastic membership card to hold my keys on.


I finally saw The Importance of Being Earnest...the hubbys play...he did a fine job directing it. Its the first show ive seen in forever that i actually laughed aloud in. Boy that felt good. More plays need to inspire belly laughs. The audience was really responsive and seemed to love it. Yaaay Hubby director. All those longs days and nights with the wolverine were worth it. Though i must admit i am looking forward to a break from theatre....its very hard to juggle your theatrical schedule with our parenting schedule.


Melinda had an idea of getting together with other women and doing potluck and creating something...quilting, knitting, etc. I like the idea. IM not sure what to do but it could be fun. I love playgroup but lets be honest...those of us with toddlers dont really get the benefit of the chit chat anymore. Im too busy either chasing the wolverine around and keeping him out of stuff or trying to get him to nap since now playgroup and his nap have collided. I still appreciate the company...its just more stressful then it once was. So i guess im always on the lookout for some down time...and some fun.

Yaay to Laura who went off for a couple of days witha friend to Gatlinburg. Thats WITHOUT the baby....who stayed home with daddy. I applaud you....a brave mommy who realized her need and made it happen. Oh i might even be a little envious. I dont see anytime in the near future where i will be overnighting without the wolverine. Part of it is me...im just not ready yet...and part is him...he relys very heavily on me at nightime. Im sure that will fade over the coming months (right?!) but for now i will have to be satisifed with living out that fantasy vicariously through other mommys. Hope you had a blast!

IM obviously playing catch up here....im horrible at keeping up with this blog.

Here is a question for anyone who is reading this...(all 4 of you)....What music is in your CD player/ stereo/ car right now. Anything i should be listening to? The last few days we've played Johhny Cash greatest hits, Pearl Jam (1st album), a PASTE magazine CD that includes that crazy ortho-jew-rasta-rapper guy and Counting Crows greatest hits. Plus ive sung my fill of kiddie songs to the wolverine. I think he like it when me and the daddy duet Johhny and June. He sways along and claps.

2 comments:

melinda said...

i've been meaning to copy some cds for you...maybe i'll have that done by friday!

maria said...

It was great fun at the movies -- good choice Joy! The hubby and I may be going to "Syriana" this weekend for our anniversary -- AND the first overnight without Miranda! Billy gave her the first 3AM bottle last weekend, and she did great -- we'll keep our fingers crossed for Friday night! Also, I'm excited about Melinda's potluck idea -- want to hear more about it.

In the CD player -- Willie Nelson's "Red-Headed Stranger"