Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The haircut....or what Rapunzel does on the weekends

So for quite awhile now i have had long hair. When i got pregnant with the wolverine it really grew like a weed, what with all those pregnancy hormones surging thru me. And i was happy just to let it grow. Since he has been born most days the hair goes up. Between mothering and work my hair usually didnt get to bask in its full glory more then once a week. And even then i had no time to do much more then wash and go. So its been ponytails and badly shaped buns for mommy for over 2 years.

Last summer my niece donated her hair to Locks of Love and it got me to thinking. I decided i would grow my hair "super" long and then cut and donate it too. Although i was feeling generous of spirit, my vanity prevented me from cutting it right away. I was not going to go "short", even for charity. I had to at least have shoulder length hair. So i waited....and waited....each visit to my hairdresser we got the ruler out and measured and she would show me where the cut off would be.....you have to have 10 inches to donate.

Well it finally happened and we ended up taking off 12 inches. Its taking some getting used to. I still prefer long hair, but its not so bad. I do have to actually use a hairdryer and "product" in my hair now...unless i want it to be wild. But sacrifices must be made.

The upside now is that i can wear my hair down without the wolverine saying "Mommy pull your hair up". That has been nice.
Before-

After-


The wonderful thing about hair is.....that is always can grow back. At least for me. The organization i chose to donate my hair to makes wigs for children who dont grow hair or have lost all their hair due to chemo treatments for illnesses . I liked http://www.wigsforkids.org/because they donate their wigs to the families instead of making them pay for the wigs which several of the other organizations do.

I figure i will do this again as soon as my hair grows back out. Any of you care to join me???

3 comments:

melinda said...

You look marvelous girl either way, but I'm likin' it short these days. I donated to Locks of Love years ago. Next time I do that though, I'll make sure I'm giving to the same kind of charity...I'd hate that I donated my hair for the poor family to have to pay for it :(

Anonymous said...

i bet the cut looks cute--you should put a picture from the front up too. :-) i debated growing my hair out for locks of love several months ago but when I realized how long it would take for my hair to get long enough to have 10 inches to cut off..i gave up. :-(

Rachel said...

I thought about doing the locks of love thing a couple years ago, but I just couldn't quite make it. My hair doesn't look that great long - not like your's does!! It's beautiful in both pics. I like it short for now, though. Change is good! (Sorry I forgot to mention it on Fri when we saw you. I did notice and thought it looked great!)