Thursday, July 06, 2006

Summertime and the living is easy...

or so they say. Personally im pooped from having almost 2 weeks off work. After a short visit in TN & TX, followed by a visit from in laws who left today, i am exhausted. It will be nice to have our home back just to ourselves. The wolverine needs time to wallow comfortably in his usual schedule and activities like mall walking with Daddy and long afternoon naps with mommy.


We went to the Newport Aquarium yesterday at it was pretty cool. They dont allow strollers (2 years ago this would have made me cheer!) so we toted the wolverine around in a backpack. Unobstructed views are great for toddlers and rough on parents backs. The coolest thing was the shark area. They are over AND under you. *shiver*
The otters and penguins were cute.

For those parents who dont know this yet....
FOODS THAT WILL MAKE YOUR CHILDS DIAPERS A TOXIC DISASTER:
*grapes
*oranges
*cheese
*tomato
*any processed foods


CELEBRITY BOBBLEHEAD WATCH (or actors who insist they are wasting away to nothing but skin and bones even though they eat "whatever" they want)

***kEIRA kNIGHTLY
I think she is adorable and can actually act. Think Pride and Prejudice, Bend it Like Beckham, Pirates......but Blimey mates!! She is disappearing before our eyes. She was never plump...and on the notorious cover of Vanity Fair she appeared quite "willowy" *that is actor speak for skinny*...but on the red carpet for Pirates she is ghastly thin. Will someone buy her a meal please. http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2006/07/fugrates_of_the.html#more



Tomorrow we will be lunching at The Garden Cafe at Flag Fork Herb Farm. I love this place. The hubby get a free lunch because i signed us up for a birthday club thing with them. Yeah.

Playgroup at 1 on Friday. Im hoping some of you show. Im trying to figure out how best to handle it. Change the time or simply hand it over to someone with a younger baby. Any takers? Any suggestions? The wolverine probably wont be there because hopefully he will be napping. Speaking of naps....

am i being to schedule oriented? I really just try and respect the wolverines cues on this. He seems to nap around the same time every day so i try and make sure his schedule is clear at that time. I watch some parents who just go go go and their attitude seems to be that if their child is tired they will sleep whenever and wherever. Does this work for anyone? Ive found that if we respect the schedule, the schedule usually works for us. How are you all handling this? We love going and doing, but not at the expense of the families mental health. There are times though i think i should ease up a little and just go with the flow. *i hate that saying*


SATURDAY is Shakespeare Festival at the aRboretum...midsummer nights dream with the hubby playing the role of Bottom. *i wont make a joke here* The play starts at 8:45 but they open for seating at 7. Anyone interested let me know. Ive already lined up a sitter , but am open to taking the wolverine if need be. He has had a rough week at night so im not sure he will stand to be left behind.

That same day is the hubbys 40th birthday. WOW. I met the guy when he was 26 and still wearing silk shirts and loafers with no socks. He was in a rock band and was the most talented actor i had ever seen onstage. He drove a Ford Fiesta(?). He is still the funniest man i know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FESTIVA, darling...and thank you!

melinda said...

I can't believe the Aquarium doesn't allow strollers...good to know for future reference!

Hopefully we'll be at playgroup too, I think Noah woke up early enough today that he can get in a nap before 1. Just have to wait and see. And no, I don't think you're being too schedule-oriented. Babies/Tots NEED their naps and all us moms know it. Some babies just sleep anywhere and others don't sleep as well anywhere. I'm all about napping on cue also, and it does seem to fall into a "routine". Noah used to take 2 naps a day and I could gage pretty well when it would be and I planned my day around that. For one of those naps he napped in the carseat a lot if I was running errands, I'd just read a book or journal so he'd sleep for some amount of time. Now it seems he's going towards one nap a day and it's harder to gage right now, and it now seems important to be at home for naptime. He's too excitable by other tots and new places to nap elsewhere anymore. I've had to be really flexible through this transition and missed playgroup last week because of it. I've also had to ask Mary Elizabeth to leave my house on a few occassions because he needed his nap and he wanted to keep playing with company! I know that if he doesn't get some sort of nap it's pure misery for all parties involved. There is a time to take things as they flow :) but I usually try and have that attitude when I don't see other options and I can't help the schedule for a day or two. I do believe you're a flexible mom and it's a great thing. But too schedule-oriented?? Does Logan wake up at 8 every morning, have breakfast from 8:30 to 9, play from 9 to 11, read from 11 to 11:30, lunch from 11:30 to 12, nap from 12 to 2:30??? I've spoken with some parents who live by schedules. I don't think simply wanting your child to have a good nap falls under the same category.

Julie Danielle said...

If we are home, Daniel usually naps at the same time. If we are out he will either nap in the car or just nap later. Doesn't seem to mess him up. But all kids are different. He has always been like this. I have never been on a schedule really. Other than putting him down around the same time if we are home.

melinda said...

ps sorry i wrote so much, geez. and yes we'll definitely be at playgroup!